Sunday, March 4, 2012

BLOG ASSIGNMENT #6

mypictures

Randy Pausch- First, let me say, that video was very inspiring. It has been said, everyone likes a bad guy. Really, I believe people are attracted to courage.The way he look death straight in the face and carried on, as if it was nothing, was very inspiring. That alone was enough anyone needed to see, to get pumped up about going after their dreams. Randy Pausch, left a lot of valuable tips for learning as well as teaching. The first, was one I learned playing sports, that was if you are screwing up, and no one is saying anything, that is when you need to start worrying. Learning how to deal with constructive criticism is the beginning of the mental toughness process.When teaching this process, you have to be aware as a teacher, on how much each student can handle. Some kids perform better with constructive criticism, and some kids quit because of it.
Another topic he touched on, was the brick wall effect," Brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want things bad enough". School is very difficult for me, only because I have to work full time, because of my responsibilities, and sometimes I think about quitting. However, I know it's hard for a reason. Somewhere, we have been mistaking, that success comes without struggle. Every time something gets hard, the first thought, is something must be wrong. I've come to realize, that struggles are part of the process. I have children, so the brick wall analogy will be something I will apply to them and my students.
Learning hands on is very effective, and most people can apply what they have learned through tactic learning. Doing away with books shouldn't be highly recommended, just less emphasized.There is a lot of information in books,and book learning and hands on knowledge should be inclusive.
Having fun, I think, might be the best learning strategies there is, besides the thirst and hunger for it. A class someone loves to attend, is the one he or she may get the most out of. Life is hard, and sometimes very difficult to cope with, and for most kids school is their escape.This is a strategy, that I highly recommend and will enforce in my class room setting.
There are so many things I can say about this video, but I am going to end on the topic of helping others. Life is about giving and making others dreams come true.When I die, I want to leave behind a legacy, like Randy Pausch!

2 comments:

  1. Joe, I enjoyed your last thought about leaving behind a legacy. Although, Randy left this world a lot sooner than perhaps he should have, he was still an inspirational man who left behind great words of wisdom. Next time try to consider not using this, that, there and possibly less commas. I had a little bit of a difficult time following your sentence structure but over all I think you did a great job capturing all the great points Randy talked about. I almost forgot about those first things he mentioned about his football career until I read you blog. Sports are definitely a great learning experience, which also provides structure, discipline and teamwork. Finally, we as teachers can't forget about fun in the classroom. Fun needs to be a necessity because you are right, Joe, no kids will want to learn and we need them to thirst for an education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done.

    The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher. Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete